Saturday, February 25, 2006

Penny Lover

Snowflake did it again. Normally, he never puts foreign objects into his mouth except for boobs. Yesterday he was playing with a penny while I was changing him. I noticed he had it. After I finished, I asked him where the penny was.

"In-air", he says, meaning 'in there', inside of him.

"Open your mouth." I say. He does, but it's no longer there. He swallowed it. I wasn't too freaked out until I looked on line and it said,

One other point of interest. Old pennies made of pure copper are harmless if
swallowed by a child, assuming it does not lodge in the throat and/or wind
pipe. That is not true of copper plated zinc pennies. If the surface is
marred or scratched the zinc reacts with hydrochloric acid in the stomach
and forms zinc chloride which is very corrosive and can perforate the
stomach lining. So now a baby swallowing a penny is no longer to be taken
lightly and immediate medical attention should be sought should it happen.


I'm thinking that when I looked at that penny it was already a little teal colored. I start to get a little freaked. I call the Doc and she reassures me he will be fine. I'm happy to report that he had change in his diaper today so all is well. So I guess it has finally come to pass(no pun), The Chidler is not the only one who has strange objects coming out of his ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I didn't think they would make our money of potentially harmful materials, given our society's propensity to eating it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, pennies after 1982 are only copper coated. I learn something new everyday with my little compadre. People swallow strange, strange things. Pregnant women can really get strange cravings like for dirt and dish soap and other weird things. I never did, but I'm hoping Annie does and she tells us all about it. Ha! I KID!