Friday, February 10, 2006

Picture This


This is what Sid brought me back from Ol' Mexico. Kinda creepy, kinda cool. I have it sitting on the mantle for the time being. Reminds me a bit of Ms. Kahlo. I'm in a quandry. I want to buy a new digital camera, maybe two. One tiny and precious for incognito traveling, the other, a powerhouse for taking some amazing shots.

Right now there's a WASP video on VH1. It is pure cheese, rediculous and hilarious. Hairy serious eighties rockers out in the middle of what appears to be Arches National Park, jamming out hard. Cut to the twigish lead singer zinging down the road on his motorbike. Suddenly a she-devil dressed in red gauze appears high on a rock with a pitchfork. Then, Zap! She's gone! The sun is shining bright and hopefully they had sunblock on their pasty whites. At the beginning of the video my coworker says,

"Yeah, I really got into WASP. Did you?"

"Um, definitely, not!"

As the video goes on I can tell he's slightly embarassed. Halfway through he flips the channel and laughs, "I guess I really didn't get into them."

Now he's watching Beavis & Butthead. Then he's quickly flipping to the Dukes of Hazard and back. My picture is painted.

I've been reading camera reviews for the past week and I'm not sure if I want to buy a D-SLR and deal with all kinds of lenses. There's a feeling that D-SLR's are going to go by the wayside shortly for digitals that have amazing all in one lenses. I'm ready to spend some serious cash and I don't want to be disappointed. I am so sick of thinking about it I may go out and drink alotta maragaritas this weekend. That always makes things clearer.

This morning I noticed David had a little Snow Fro. Two inches of snow last night and a few flakes are still fluttering down this morning. I do love the snow. My only real problem with it is when I'm lazy and I don't clear the snow from the copper eaves on the second story. A nice little ice damn forms and when the sun hits it, they become slabs of death. You can never be sure when a chunk will let loose and fly off the roof, causing the demise of an unsuspecting visitor.

That wouldn't be a pretty picture. Winter in the Yukon. Funny in a sick way, when you come to my casa, you may never know what hit you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of having my obituary state that I died of icicle related injuries.

"When we arrived on scene, she had a 4inch icicle protruding from her right eye socket. She must have heard the cracking as it became dislodged and looked up. Shame. You can tell by the expression frozen on her face that she was surprised."

I'd much rather have that written than "She died naked in her bathroom. Apparently, she had just waxed her legs and it looks like she was trying to take a picture of her handiwork to post on her blog. Anyhow, her glass of rice milk fell over, she slipped and got clotheslined on the cord of her curling iron. Damn, how many women do we have to lose to these senseless beuty implement-related asccidents?!"

BTW, my husband works with Pentax, we've converted most of our friends over to digital cameras. If you have any questions, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Lotus, you are hilarious! You'd freak if you actually heard a slab coming off the roof in the middle of the night and slamming onto the roof below. I t literally sounds like a wrecking ball coming through the house. Weirdly, I kind of like it. When it rains, it is truly magical. I made my cam decision. As I am not a purist when it comes to photography, I went with the Sony R1. I'm not yet ready to deal with fifty zillion lenses and mystery artifacts showing up in my photos and after reading so much about this camera, I thought it was the one for me. Like I said in my Camera Love post, I will still have money to spend if I want something better in the next year. I was thinking a Canon 5D.

I love your description above about the bano and the "asccindents". Really glad I found your blog one night. BTW, I really like Kilatzins ideas about baby fever and pregnant women. I share alot of his views. It was a weird adjustment for me to have a baby, the hardest thing being people referring to "your baby" "my baby"... it's just odd. It's not something tangible, I was thinking in my mind, "don't call him my baby". Is that bizarre?

Anonymous said...

Ps... I always thought an icicle would make a great murder weapon. Ha Ha! When I get some big wonkers hanging off the roof, I'll post one for you.